About Me

Hello and welcome to my blog! Here you may find something interesting to read about my gaming experience or you may find a whole variety of pointless rambling. Good luck! Oh and for those of you wondering 'what is a Bratt?', I can tell you it is a very unfortunate surname!

Friday 8 January 2010

Forum Post Fridays

Each Friday I will pick a forum post from the World of Warcraft EU forums and discuss it. I will pick the post from anywhere within these forums depending on what I find interesting, funny or just rather annoying.

Please click here to check out today's forum post.

Summary

The original post focuses on a number of reasons why he/she HATES the new disenchanting option available in dungeons. The main reasoning is that the enchanting profession was difficult to level up and has been fairly useless to make gold with up until WOTLK. However the new disenchant option means that enchanting mats are much more freely available and people will no longer pay stupid amounts of gold for his/her enchanted vellums.

This post does not offer anything new but simply repeats what some enchanters already seem to think.

My opinion

I have read far too many of these types of forums posts and they all seem to offer the same idea:

"I can't make money because enchanting materials are cheap."

This idea drive me crazy and I wish people would take a step back and think about it. The fact that the enchanting materials are now cheaper does not mean people do not need enchants. In my opinion it means more people will want to buy enchants than previously.

The OP mentioned enchanting vellums (scrolls) to sell so I will focus on that idea for a moment. I have often done exactly the same process when I had a maxed out enchanter and the process is extremely simple. You buy enchanting materials and the necessary vellum and then you enchant it. Work out how much you have spent and then add a percentage to that price to figure out how much you will sell it for. For example:

(Enchanting Materials+Vellum) x 120% = Price to sell on the Auction House

If your prices change then you will still make the exact same percentage profit from each sale. Enchanting materials are definitely cheaper at the moment and therefore the price you sell each scroll at will now be lower. However epic gear has never been so available in the history of this game and therefore the market for scrolls is now larger. This means you will be selling more scrolls for slightly less profit. So what is the problem?

Interesting Replies

Lobotomy writes:

"Moneymaking is up to players, not something that Blizzard has to fix because it can't be done. While you work for a full day and get 200g in tips, I actually don't respond to people that whisper me for enchants. I never advertise, I just make scrolls and put on AH, selling scrolls for around 4k per day with making auctions once or twice. A recent favourite was selling two accuracy scrolls for 981g each, costing me each 320g to make.


Enchanting makes money. Certain enchanters don't make money though, Blizzard can't fix enchanters."

I think his final point is great, the fact that you are not making money on the Auction House or by using your professions is not often Blizzard's fault. You need to reevaluate your own money making strategies.


Daelwroth writes:

"
I used to make alot of money from greeding on items in Heroics, then if I won them, disenchant them into mats, and sell those on AH. It was my way of money-making with enchanting, but the money made dropped by 25% if not more."

This reply proves my point. Relying on the luck of a roll to sell materials that may or may not change in price is never going to be a constant income. Relying compeltely on one method when there are so many available and then blaming the 'system' is just aggravating. Also greeding on items and not telling his group that he could help them with disenchants is just greedy in my opinion, but that is the choice of the enchanter.

Melech writes:

"Ive had a LOT of business as an enchanter because people have tons of mats now. Guess what, your profession is not disenchanting, but actually Enchanting. It is just a perk and a service we offer."

Agreed.



Please leave your comments on this topic below or within the original forum post!





No comments:

Post a Comment